RSS
A blog about my life in Korea

The South Gate-Naumdemeun Market

I really think that I should name this post, "That's So Korean, Episode 26". I'm all for sucking up this whole experience and keeping myself entertained. Anyways, I went to the grocery store the other day to buy some food so that I can begin my diet and save money. Now, whilst at the store I noticed there was a pack of colorful sausages. It even had green sausages. Now, I understand most people would say, " Hecky naw" and run the other way but I, I had dreams of seeing what they taste like and making a remix of green eggs and ham in the morning. So below, I show you...breakfast!



green eggs and ham remix...green ham and eggs! How you like them apples

Of course this did not end my Korean food escapades!!! Saturday evening I went to meet a woman for the first time. I need friends. I really wanted to see the much raved about Naumdemeun Market. It is large, but it's not my type of party. You have to search blocks and blocks to find anything out of the ordinary. Many of the stands were seafood stands, bootleg pocket books and socks. Which, lets face it, you can find on any corner in Korea and I mean any! I guess the best part is you can haggle and always ask for a discount there (kaka chuseyo in Korean), which I hear is the only way to go. So after window shopping and wish listing items in my head for all of 45 minutes I was worn out and hungry. My new friend said it seems that I seem that I'm always hungry.lol. Yes it is truth. Anyways, we stopped by a street food stand and ordered a plate of sweet and spicy sesame ochinga/squid. minus the "bones", which I was unaware squid was supposed to have, it was Mashi Soyo/delicious.


squiggly squid.say that 10 times fast

At my meal, we also had some Soju. Soju is like a Korean vodka but weaker. Not much weaker. It does a number on your stomach before it does one on your mood. It's in every 7/11 and evry restaurant around and It's only a dollar at most places. Only half a bottle will get you started right. So after our meal, I needed to visit the ladies room. Now I had heard of the asian public restrooms but they all looked like home to me until last night. Not only is it like a urinal in the floor, but it's really an aim and balancing combo mixed into one. The stall is small, and I'm a lady. I usually don't have to worry about aiming, but If you dont want to get your boot like I did, then start practing before you visit because it is no joke. The bathroom is nasty like most public restrooms are so, you'll probably be wearing a coat, holding your purse, balance and aim all at the same time. Dont try it drunk.



Next"That's So Korean" topic: Beyonce at BaviPhat?!
Um..so, while at the market we passed this store named Baviphat with pictures of Beyonce everywhere. I'm still a little confused about this one. Since when do you promote knock offs with the wrong person.Like if i have a bootleg Vera Wang dress I'm hustling, Is it ok to put photos of Lucy Lui from Charlie's Angels outside my stand. Don't I want to convince you it's as close to the real thing as possible? Anyway, If you don't know, Kimora Lee produced the BabyPhat line. It was not BaviPhat and it wasn't Beyonce. Beyonce is House of Dereon, which by the way, was the products they were selling I think. I didn't know Beyonce had a make up line. If not, In Korea she does. Dereon make up. "No black color" or at least that's what the store salesperson told me. Im a just leave that alone all together.


Beyonce at Baviphat

By the end of the night, after a meet up here, a phone call there, and a bump into some new random girl there, I had a great time with three new friends. I don't have a photo for the last one but,it was cool. I think I can come off the facebook now since I know about a good 6 or 7 people. I'm not even a good manger of time like that. We'll see.



Last but, certainly not least, photos of the top of the market. This is one entrance but there is no way you can take a picture of it all.




naumdemeun photos

0 comments:

Post a Comment